Friday, October 13, 2006

It's all in the numbers

No Art Appreciation Friday. I'm not interested this week. Maybe next week.

A number has been going through my head all week. One I can't wrap my mind around.

655,000


More or less.

The Idiot in DC, only because someone told him to, says the numbers are inaccurate, the methodology is flawed or some such shit.

Really? MIT and Johns Hopkins have copies of the actual death certificates for over 90 percent of those reported dead.

90% of 655,000 is 589,500 documents.

589,500 death certificates.

Inaccurate. Flawed methodology.

Bullshit.

If you can't wrap your mind around 655,000, try 4.


~ ~ ~



Olbermann. I don't need to say anything, do I?

Documents Reveal Scope of US Database on Antiwar Protests.


~ ~ ~



October Anniversaries:

Battle of Karbala, October 10, 680, in Iraq. Battle of Tours, October 10, 732, in Tours, France.

The Bugs Bunny Show aired for the first time on ABC on October 11. I've found myself wishing for Bugs to rule the US - hell, I'd settle for Marvin the Martian.

Man, I so want my own Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator. Guess you know who I'd aim it at.

October 12 is the birthday of Jonathan Trumbull, for whom my hometown was named.

On October 13, 1775 the Continental Congress orders the establishment of the Continental Navy.

While Congress deliberated, it received word that two unarmed British supply ships from England were heading towards Quebec without escort. Plans were made to intercept the ships, but the armed vessels to be used were owned by individual colonies. Of greater significance, then, was an additional plan to equip two ships under the direct authority of Congress to capture British supply transports. The plan was not carried out until October 13, 1775, when George Washington announced that he had taken command of three armed schooners under Continental authority to intercept any British supply ships near Massachusetts. With the revelation that vessels were already sailing under Continental control, the decision to add two more was made easier. The resolution was adopted and October 13 would later become known as the United States Navy's official birthday.


The Miracle of the Sun took place today, 89 years ago.

It's also Sacha Baron Cohen's birthday.

And it's Friday the 13th.

Tomorrow is 940th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

October 15 is the 66th anniversary of the premiere of The Great Dictator, directed and starring Charlie Chaplin.

Hm. I guess it's turned into Art Appreciation Friday afterall.

2 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

i love the way u dont beat around the bush..

:)

Laura Elizabeth said...

Hi stridr. Node-o-rama - goodness I haven't been there in months, I'll have to check it out today.

I try to be diplomatic, Bossy, but it just doesn't work for me :)